Thursday, August 20, 2026

TOL

 


I've never lived with other widows, but I wonder, I suspect we... well, do we...?  Do we, all of us, for the sake of speaking to and hearing from... somebody... do we talk right out loud (TOL)?  To no one and nothing?

The kind of talking out loud that is known to be a little kookoo?  A little looloo?

(Whispering). I do this.  All day.  Top to bottom.

It goes like this.  Get up, stretch, say, "Here we go, Kath."   List tasks out loud, say, "Start the laundry, but grab the package at the door first.  Wait.  Check your calendar.  Do you have an appointment soon?"  During the radio show, comment, say, "Good point," and, "What does that mean?"  To the dog, the pantry, heck... the walls, ask, "Well what are we going to do about that?"  Then proceed to offer solutions... to the dog, pantry, and walls.  

Widows talk right out loud.  Talking gives them something to say and something to listen to.   It quiets the quiet.  It noises up the day a little. 

Widows have to remember to hide their kookoo and their looloo when they leave home.  They don't want to be known as a talk-to-your-selfer, even though... well... we TOL, all day... to ourselves.  

No comments:

Post a Comment